FIRST with real time Breaking News coverage overnight
Creative Commons License
Operation 100 News by Operation 100 News - Mike Frizzell is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Posted material may not be copied, rewritten, published, broadcast, or otherwise shared without proper attribution given including link to original webpage.
Contact Mike Frizzell -

Monday, September 30, 2013

Car chase leads to arrest of Topeka carjacking & kidnapping suspects in Kansas City, KS

Posted: September 30, 2013 - 2:19am
Updated: September 30, 2013 - 2:42pm

File image - Mike Frizzell Operation 100 News
Law Enforcement officers from several agencies converged on Kansas City, Kansas this morning after a vehicle from an armed carjacking, in Topeka, was spotted on Interstate 70.

Kansas Turnpike Authority Troopers say they attempted to stop a vehicle on eastbound I-70 after it sped through a toll booth in Leavenworth County around 12:30 a.m. Monday.

Troopers also learned that the vehicle had been reported stolen after being taken in an armed carjacking late Sunday night in Topeka.

The driver of the vehicle failed to yield and led Troopers on a nearly 15 mile pursuit. The chase ended when the driver tried to exit to northbound Turner Diagonal (College Parkway). The suspect vehicle crashed off the side of the exit ramp. Troopers immediately reported that two people running south from the vehicle towards the BPU (Board of Public Utilities) building, located at 6742 Riverview Avenue.

As two troopers chased the suspects, Kansas City, Kansas officers arrived at the crash scene where two people, a man and a woman, were found in the trunk of the crashed vehicle. The two told officers that they had been forced into the trunk at gunpoint.

Google Earth image of the area
Click image to view larger
Kansas City, Kansas police and State Troopers surrounded the area for a police canine to conduct a search. Kansas City, Missouri Police brought in their helicopter to search from above.

About 45 minutes after the crash, the police helicopter spotted both suspects laying down in a wooded area between the Interstate and the BPU fence.

Authorities say both suspects were taken into custody, at 1:33 a.m., and held by KCK Police until detectives from Topeka arrived to take custody.

Topeka Police also sent a crime scene technician to assist with recovering evidence.

Authorities say the suspects will likely face a number of charges including kidnapping.

One of the suspects reported a minor injury and was evaluated by medics. The victims of the carjacking did not report any injuries.

No other details were immediately available.

Stay with Operation 100 News on this blog and on Twitter for the latest details as they become available. Remember where you heard this news first, Operation 100 News, reporting the news to the public as it breaks.

Media notification available
All comments are moderated. Inappropriate and/or abusive comments will not be published. More information.
Post a Comment