FIRST with real time Breaking News coverage overnight
Creative Commons License
Operation 100 News by Operation 100 News - Mike Frizzell is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Posted material may not be copied, rewritten, published, broadcast, or otherwise shared without proper attribution given including link to original webpage.
Contact Mike Frizzell -

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

VIDEO: Cooking fire damages JoCo apartment

Posted: April 30, 2013 - 10:40pm
Updated: May 1, 2013 - 2:37am

Aerial image of the apartment complex
Click image to view larger
Crews from three area fire departments extinguished an apartment fire Tuesday evening in Johnson County.

Firefighters were called shortly after 6:30 p.m. to the Four Winds Apartments, located at 10222 W. 80th Street in Overland Park.

Arriving firefighters reported smoke visible from a first floor of the two story apartment building, which was being evacuated on arrival.

The fire was located in a kitchen and was quickly extinguished by firefighters.

A news release says the resident of the damaged apartment told fire investigators that she was cooking and had a grease fire on the stove. She attempted to put it out with flour and then a fire extinguisher, but the fire was too big. She got out of the apartment and called 911.

No injuries were reported and only one unit was uninhabitable Tuesday night.

Crews from the Lenexa Fire Department and Merriam Fire Department also assisted on the fire.

Overland Park Fire says you should keep a cookie sheet near your stove and in the event of a fire, slide it over the top of the pan that is on fire. This will smother the fire. Do not move the pan or put anything else on the fire. Cover the fire, get out and call 911.

More fire safety information and videos can be found on the city's website,

Media notification available
All comments are moderated. Inappropriate and/or abusive comments will not be published. More information.
Post a Comment