Updated: September 18, 2012 - 1:37am
Firefighters were called to an address in the 221 S Central Street in Olathe around 4:40 Tuesday morning.
Olathe Police arrived to find fire visible inside the home. A neighbor told officers that the previous resident had been evicted and no one is believed to be living at the address.
Responding firefighters reported smoke visible from Santa Fe Street (135th Street) and Interstate 35, approximately a third of a mile away. The first fire unit to arrive at the address reported the attached garage of the single story home was fully involved with flames visible through the roof.
Firefighters have conducted a primary and secondary search of the home and confirmed that there is no one inside.
Dispatchers confirm, the fire was declared "under control" at 5:06 a.m..
Olathe Fire officials confirm one firefighter was transported to an area hospital with a back injury. That injury is said to be non life-threatening. Officials say the fire appears to have sparked when the furnace's natural gas line broke and was ignited by the water heater's pilot light. The fire caused approximately $80,000 in damages.
Firefighters were called back to the scene around 1:30 Tuesday morning afternoon. Dispatchers say that was a false alarm and the fire had not rekindled.
Stay with Operation 100 News on this blog and on Twitter for the latest details as they become available. Remember where you heard this news first, Operation 100 News, reporting the news to the public as it breaks.
Operation 100 News again the only news outlet with a full report for more than an hour after the fire was reported. Only very limited details from one of the four TV news outlets until they pieced together a more detailed report, more than an hour after the fire was declared under control.