FIRST with real time Breaking News coverage overnight
Creative Commons License
Operation 100 News by Operation 100 News - Mike Frizzell is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Posted material may not be copied, rewritten, published, broadcast, or otherwise shared without proper attribution given including link to original webpage.
Contact Mike Frizzell -

Monday, December 16, 2013

PHOTOS: One in custody following low speed car chase

Posted: December 16, 2013 - 4:07am
Updated: December 16, 2013 - 4:59am

Kansas City Scout image of the pursuit's end
Headlights to the left are the suspect vehicle
Click image to view larger
More photos below report
Interstate 435 is back open following an early morning car chase.
Overland Park Police started a low speed pursuit of a black Acura passenger car on westbound Interstate 435 around 2:45 Monday morning. Officers reported the vehicle's speed to be 17 miles per hour and approaching the Quivira Road overpass.

Speeds ranged between two and 10 miles per hour for the majority of the 25 minute pursuit. 

Pursuing officers reported the driver nearly struck the concrete jersey barrier at least once.

Overland Park Police were able to get spike strips out in front of the vehicle, just west of Quivira Road. The first set of spikes only hit the right side tires of the vehicle. The driver accelerated to just over 40 mile per hour, with officers right behind him.

As the pursuit crossed into Lenexa, officers were there with a second set of spike strips in the vehicle's path. The second set of spikes deflated all four of the vehicle's tires just before the Interstate 435 intersection with Interstate 35.

The driver continued westbound on I-435 to just before Lackman Road, where his vehicle came to a stop sideways across the highway and only about three miles from where the pursuit had started 25 minutes earlier.

Once stopped, the driver continued to ignore officers and could be seen moving around in the driver's seat of the stopped vehicle.

Police from Overland Park, Lenexa and Shawnee closed both directions of the I-435 between Kansas Highway 10 and Interstate 35. 

About 20 minutes after the vehicle stopped, officers approached in a patrol vehicle and were able to take the driver into custody without further incident.

Kansas City Scout image of the pursuit's end
Officers behind a patrol vehicle preparing to approach the suspect
Click image to view larger
More photos below

Johnson County Med-Act was called to check the driver for possible injuries. He refused any treatment at the scene and remained in police custody.

Police are still investigating why the man chose not to stop for officers.

All eastbound lanes were reopened before 4 a.m.. Westbound lanes reopened about 4:17 a.m.. A tow truck removed the suspect vehicle from the right shoulder just before 5 a.m..

Kansas City Scout image of the pursuit's end
Officers taking the suspect into custody with Lenexa PD K-9 standing nearby
Click image to view larger

Kansas City Scout image of the pursuit's end
Emergency vehicles on the scene just after the suspect was apprehended
Click image to view larger
Stay with Operation 100 News on this blog and on Twitter for the latest details as they become available. Remember where you heard this news first, Operation 100 News, reporting the news to the public as it breaks.

Media notification available
All comments are moderated. Inappropriate and/or abusive comments will not be published. More information.
Post a Comment