Updated: September 8, 2013 - 5:47am
Medics treated four people for symptoms believed to be cause by carbon monoxide exposure this morning.
Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical crews were called an apartment at 1724 Ohio Street, just after 2:30 Sunday morning. The residents told dispatchers that the apartment's carbon monoxide detector was sounding and four people were feeling light headed.
Firefighters reported readings of 72ppm (parts per million) in the apartment and requested the gas company to respond.
Medics treated four people outside of the residence for slight headaches and light-headedness. It did not appear that anyone was transported from the scene by ambulance.
Carbon monoxide levels of 5 parts per million or less are considered normal household levels according to the EPA. Levels near properly adjusted gas stoves are often 5 to 15 ppm and those near poorly adjusted stoves may be 30 ppm or higher. [Source]
There has been no confirmation regarding what may have caused the elevated levels.
Stay with Operation 100 News on this blog and on Twitter for the latest details as they become available. Remember where you heard this news first, Operation 100 News, reporting the news to the public as it breaks.
Media notification available
All comments are moderated. Inappropriate and/or abusive comments will not be published. More information.