FIRST with real time Breaking News coverage overnight
Creative Commons License
Operation 100 News by Operation 100 News - Mike Frizzell is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Posted material may not be copied, rewritten, published, broadcast, or otherwise shared without proper attribution given, including link to original webpage.
Contact Mike Frizzell -

Monday, July 22, 2019

Cooking fire displaces Shawnee family

Posted: July 22, 2019 - 5:09 p.m.

Firefighters from Shawnee, Overland Park, and Lenexa were called to a house fire just after 8:30 Monday morning in Shawnee.

Shawnee firefighters made quick work of the fire
and began ventilating smoke from the house.
Photos ©Mike Frizzell - Operation 100 News
Arriving firefighters reported fire showing from the second level screened-in deck of the home at 7307 Earnshaw Street.

Shawnee Fire Marshal Corey Sands says the fire was "moving rapidly" towards the interior of the home.

"The family members were able to escape the house fire without injury and Shawnee fire crews put a quick stop to the fire," Sands said.

Fire investigators determined the resident had been cooking on the screened-in deck with a propane fed burner. The resident went back inside the home to prepare more food, then smelled smoke and found the fire on the deck.

"The leading cause of fires in Shawnee and across the nation is unattended cooking," Sands said. "It is always important to stay in the area you are cooking in."

Firefighters make sure the fire on the back screened-in deck is out.
Damage to the home is estimated at $150,000. The displaced residents are staying with family for the time being.

Media notification available
All comments are moderated. Inappropriate and/or abusive comments will not be published. More information.

No comments :