Updated: March 7, 2013 - 11:51am
Investigators say careless smoking is likely to blame for sparking the fire, which displaced 22 residents.
Original report:Firefighters from two area departments battled an apartment fire late Tuesday evening.
Crews were called to the Hillsborough Apartments, 5413 Foxridge Drive, around 8:40 p.m. after dispatchers received multiple 911 calls about fire in the building.
Firefighters arrived to report heavy fire showing from the building. Crews from Consolidated Fire District No. 2 of Northeast Johnson County and the Merriam Fire Department worked for just over an hour to get the fire under control.
Investigators say eight units sustained damage, four of which were heavily damaged. A total of 22 residents were displaced by the fire, including two children. The Red Cross is on scene to provide those residents with assistance.
No injuries were reported.
Stay with Operation 100 News on this blog and on Twitter for the latest details as they become available.
Media notification available
All comments are moderated. Inappropriate and/or abusive comments will not be published. More information.