FIRST with real time Breaking News coverage overnight
Creative Commons License
Operation 100 News by Operation 100 News - Mike Frizzell is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Posted material may not be copied, rewritten, published, broadcast, or otherwise shared without proper attribution given including link to original webpage.
Contact Mike Frizzell -

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

One in custody following high speed car chase

Posted: January 10, 2012 - 3:20am
Updated: January 10, 2012 - 11:12am

Mission Police found themselves involved in a high speed pursuit with a possibly stolen truck early this morning. Police say at 3:07 a.m. Tuesday, an Officer on patrols spotted a red Dodge Ram pickup truck near Broadmoor Street and W 58th Street in Mission. When the Officer attempted to stop the truck, the vehicle took off southbound towards Johnson Drive.

The driver turned westbound onto Johnson Drive and increased his speed to more than 60 miles per hour passing through Overland Park. As the vehicle continued on Johnson Drive into Merriam, a dispatcher reported to the pursuing Officers that the vehicle was reported stolen from an address in Kansas City, Kansas. Speeds reached 65 miles per hour as the driver crossed Antioch road and then under the Interstate 35 bridge.

The chase then crossed into Shawnee with speeds still around 60 miles per hour and westbound on Johnson Drive. At Quivira road, the chase turned north, with speeds reaching nearly 80 miles per hour before crossing W 55th Street. Chasing Officers continued into Kansas City, Kansas, still northbound on Quivira, which becomes S 63rd Street in Kansas City.

Just north of S 63rd Street and Gibbs road, the chase came to an end when the driver stopped and was taken into custody without further incident. The chase lasted just over 12 minutes, covering a distance of just over five and a half miles and passing through five cities. Mission Police were the only agency directly involved in the pursuit.

The male driver was wanted on several charges out of a neighboring jurisdiction and now faces additional charges directly related to the chase, including attempt to flee and elude. He is yet to be formally charged in Johnson County Court. The stolen vehicle was recovered and towed from the scene where the pursuit ended. No traffic collisions or any injuries were reported.

Stay with Operation 100 News on this blog and on Twitter for the latest details as they become available. Remember where you heard this news first. Operation 100 News, reporting the news to the public as it breaks.
Post a Comment